Sunday, July 24, 2011

My parents are accountants, My friends are engineers. What will my children be?

Both my parents grew up in families that would be accurately termed "Hardcore Poor". They each got a job immediately after school. They became accountants out of necessity. They had younger siblings to support. Accountancy paid relatively well for a fresh school-leaver, and they could study as they work to become qualified accountants. Their friends became accountants, doctors, lawyers, teachers, administrators. I don't think they have that many friends who became engineers.

Many of my friends work, or have worked, in the Electrical & Electronics industry or its supply chain in Penang. After school, IT was the thing to study in local colleges or universities. Upon graduation, Intel, Dell, Motorola & Agilent(formerly HP) were amongst common employers -- They, and other MNCs (multi-national corporations) prop up the Penang economy. Our current Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng has been working very hard to bring in new investors, new companies. Amongst newbies on the scene are St Judes, National Instruments and Borsch.

I like the scout motto "Be Prepared".
Did my parents expect the IT/electronics revolution?
Did my friends want to be engineers when we were 15 years old in Form 3?
What will the future bring? What work will future Penangites occupy themselves with?

No comments:

Post a Comment